Tuesday, May 20, 2008

If this had been a real emergency...

Monday, after a morning final exam, I'm studying in the library, in a big spacious corner conference room with big sweeping windows. Every thing's good and then the fire alarm sounds--lights flash and the alarm sounds. After years of school drills the natural thing would be to pack up quietly and efficiently. Instead I sort of sit around, waiting for it to end...my study buddy has more sense and reminds me we are on the top floor, in other words, "Pack yo shit girl." So I begrudgingly pick up all of my belongings: snacks, humongous books, notes, backpack etc. I am a bag lady after all. And the alarm continues.

At this point the main stairs that run through the library are filling with exiting students but no worries, I know a shortcut. I cut across to the side fire exit, push on the doors and HOLY SHIT. Another louder, more urgent alarm starts ringing and flashing. I turn around and am forced to take several detours and side stairs to exit because the main stairs are closed.

Mostly this taught me that
(1) not all emergencies are created equal,
(2) like in the lab buildings, if you don't exit within the first few minutes during an alarm, stuff begins to lock down and most importantly
(3) I'm an idiot. If this had been a real emergency I'd be trapped/burnt OR arrested on suspicion of terrorism for trying to gain access to the roof (yep, that's why I set off a second alarm).

No comments: